Flinders Street Station (also known as Flinders Street) is a railway station in central Melbourne. Opening in 1854, it was the first railway station in Australia. In 1882 an international design competition was held to replace the impromptu station, with the winning design announced in 1889. The French Renaissance style building was designed by James Fawcett and H.P.C. Ashworth of Fawcett and Ashworth, featuring a large dome and clock tower. The building extends for two city blocks between Swanston Street and Queen Street, with entrances at Swanston Street and Elizabeth Street.
It was the busiest railway station in the world during the 1920’s, and is currently the busiest in the southern hemisphere with more than 100,000 passengers a day.
The station is the origin of all 14 suburban Melbourne train lines (15 including Flemington Racecourse), and is connected to tram routes 1, 3, 3a, 5, 6, 8, 16, 19, 57, 59, 64, 67, 70, 72, 75, and the City Circle, which operate along Swanston Street, Flinders Street, and Elizabeth Street.